Thursday, December 6, 2012

MAINE CALLS ON HENKE

Press Release


Wayne, NJ- The Jersey Hitmen are proud to announce that rookie forward Josh Henke has accepted a scholarship to the University of Maine for the fall of 2013. Henke, who currently sits 2nd in EJHL scoring, has had an amazing year since signing with the Hitmen in July. Through 23 EJHL contests, Henke has racked up a 15-18-33 scoring line including 7 power play goals and 2 game winning tallies. The Trenton, MI native is known for his on ice vision, strength on the puck and scoring prowess.

"I think Josh will be a perfect fit in Orono," commented head coach Toby Harris. "His attention to detail off the ice with how he lives, how he trains and his love of the game will make him a fan favorite at Maine. He has brought a lot of jump and skill to an already strong forward corps this season, plus it is always very rewarding for our staff to see a mid-western kid come east and attain his college dream. We are very excited for Josh and his family!"

Henke becomes the fourth Hitman to commit to the University of Maine over the past three seasons following in the footsteps of Jon Swavely, Connor Leen and Steven Swavely.

"I am so ecstatic to be going to Maine," said Henke. "Coming out east I did not know what to expect. I heard nothing but great things about Coach Harris and the Hitmen program, but had never seen an EJHL game. However, coming in I knew some players that I had played with and against in the USHL and US hockey festivals, and knew that we were going to have a great team. I did not know it was going to be this great."

Henke continued, "the off-ice training, the high tempo practices, traveling in style, the equipment package, the arena & facilities, it is really second to none here in Jersey. I really like how we train and how we play, every day I am learning and getting better. I cannot say enough about Coach Harris and Coach Hunt. Their approach to the game, how they manage the players and how they get the most out of each guy has really helped my game grow. I will say though that without my parents and their guidance, and help from my advisor, Mark Toof, I would not have been afforded the opportunity to come east or even land with the Hitmen. My mom and dad have been nothing but supportive and have helped me every step of the way in figuring things out both on and off the ice. They have backed my decisions, both good and bad, and that has made me not only a better player, but a better person. I cannot thank them enough! I am really looking forward to the rest of the season and helping the Hitmen bring home an EJHL championship."

Henke becomes the 12th division one commitment off of this seasons EJHL roster and the third commitment to a Hockey 


 (Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: