Monday, October 15, 2012

Masonius Picks UNH

Press Release

The Hitmen would like to congratulate defenseman Joe Masonius on committing to play his collegiate hockey as a member of the University of New Hampshire Wildcats.

After spending last season playing Bantam hockey Joe came to the Hitmen this year poised to be the teams youngest defenseman. Youngest, but one of the most important. And as Masonius has excelled through the first few weeks of the season, there have been plenty of college coaches who have taken notice. Today the '97 born defenseman officially took himself off the market when he accepted a scholarship to play division I hockey at the University of New Hampshire. Masonius, along with many others, have split time this season between the Empire Junior Hockey League team as well as the Hitmen's inaugural installation of the 18U team, which plays in the USEHL.

With his commitment Masonius made two pieces of Hitmen history. He becomes the first ever Empire player to make a division one commitment while in season, and also becomes the first ever player to commit on the 18U front.

"The first time I visited UNH I knew it was the place I wanted to be. It's a perfect fit" said Masonius "I would like to thank, coach Barling, coach Lotito and entire Hitmen organization for the opportunities they have provided me. I would also like to thank my family for all of the time and sacrifices they have made to help me attain my dream. I am very excited to join coach Umile and his staff in a few years, but for now I look forward to continuing my development. This has been a great environment to play in and I look forward to continuing the early season success we have had."

Masonius, a native of Spring Lake, NJ  is a sophomore at Christian Brothers Academy in Lincroft, NJ


(Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: