Saturday, July 9, 2011

Hurricanes Hall of Fame Inductees 2011

Press Release

Lethbridge, AB – The Lethbridge Hurricanes/Broncos Alumni Hall of Fame Committee is proud to announce the inductees for 2011-2012. As part of the Hurricanes 25th season celebration - the committee has elected three former Hurricanes to the Alumni Hall of Fame: Homegrown former Lethbridge Hurricanes Captain and NHL journeyman Jamie Pushor, Former Hurricanes GM and Southern Alberta Hockey pioneer Bob Bartlett and Lethbridge Hurricanes all-time leading scorer – Jason Ruff.

“It’s appropriate that three of the most influential Lethbridge Hurricanes would be honored in this the 25th Season of Hurricanes hockey in this city” said Hurricanes/Broncos Alumni Committee Chair Dick Gibson “All three of these gentlemen have embraced the community and have continually contributed both on the ice and off to the growth of the junior hockey in Southern Alberta. It is our pleasure to honor them all this season – it is truly well deserved.”

Both Bob Bartlett and Jason Ruff will be attending the 5th Annual Lethbridge Hurricanes/Broncos Alumni Golf Tournament which is being held on this afternoon - Friday July 8th at Paradise Canyon Golf Resort. Jamie Pushor is unable to attend this years golf tournament but released the following statement:

“I am truly honored to be chosen as an inductee into the Lethbridge Hurricanes/Broncos Alumni Hall of Fame. It is especially exciting to be inducted with Bob Bartlett and Jason Ruff, two of the classiest individuals I have ever played with. I am humbled to be joining the group of current members considering the contributions they have all made to Major Junior Hockey in Lethbridge.”

“It is hard to believe that twenty years have passed since raising the Eastern Division Championship banner following the 1990-1991 season. I was very fortunate to be able to play junior hockey in my hometown and have the best billets in the world, my parents! I have great memories of my junior hockey career with the Hurricanes: my teammates, the bus trips, the playoffs, the broken noses, Bob Loucks, the fans, the Tigers and the competitive spirit of the Western Hockey League. All of these experiences helped me to realize my dream of playing in the National Hockey League. I am very proud to have been a part of the franchise during its formative years. Playing with players like Peter Berthelsen, Wes Walz, Jamie McLennan, Jason Ruff, Mark Greig, Brad Rubachuk and Jason Widmer to name a few.”

“Congratulations to the Lethbridge Hurricanes, the city of Lethbridge and Southern Alberta on 25 years of Hurricanes hockey and to the newly renovated ENMAX Center. I would also like to thank the Board of Directors for my nomination and induction. Thank you again and I wish the Hurricanes continued success on the ice and in the community.”

(Nathan can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: